Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Discus Hunger Strike

It's was over a month ago when I realized something was wrong with the snake skin pair. I hesitated to write about this experience because I was afraid they weren't going to make it. The pair had stopped eating for about three weeks after their last move to the breeder tank, I thought maybe they were stressed from the multiple moves. Every time I put some frozen blood worms in the breeder tank, I ended up vacuuming the same amount out after a while. Into the third week of their hunger strike that I noticed a white clear string stuck to the filter and one at the bottom of the tank. At first I didn't think much of it until I actually saw the white string mucus like feces hanging from one of the snake skin's anus! Immediately I searched the internet for clues and came to the diagnosis of intestinal flagellates! 

Symptoms:  Your discus may quit eating or spit out its food. White, stringy, mucus-like feces will hang like a thread from the anus.

Some called it Intestinal Flagellates, others called it Hexamita. I can't quite distinguish the difference between the two terms since the symptoms for both are almost identical. 

Hexamita flagellated protozoan found in the gastrointestinal tracts of a variety of cold and warm water fish, including several species of Cichlids.Occasionally hexamita is found in healthy fish. Stress from malnutrition, shipping, over-crowding, or poor water quality may lead to rapid reproduction of the protozoan, resulting in disease.  

As I scrambled to search for a solution, I noticed the same white string feces hanging from Yellow in the display tank! Double trouble! I bagged Yellow and moved her to the breeder tank. In the breeder tank, the pair and Yellow started fighting aggressively. The pair felt their territory was invaded by Yellow. To prevent the three from fighting which will lead to more stress, I used a piece of plastic canvas to divide the tank, separating the pair from Yellow. The breeder tank is now the hospital tank with a sponge filter one on the opposite wall.  I have got to decide on the remedy for this sickness asap.


symptom: hunger strike and white clear string feces

1 comment: