Thursday, February 26, 2015

Double Spawn

The previous evening Blue Turquoise was pecking at the wall and practiced going vertically. I waited for the trail of eggs to follow but saw none. I thought maybe BT was just practicing laying eggs since it is the smallest one of all the discus; it could be too young to have eggs. But now I know for sure that BT is female.

This evening, I checked on BT and it was still hanging around the same area of the wall. I looked closely and saw a patch of eggs on the wall! BT has spawn!  I observed to see if a male was nearby. Blue Diamond was around but not too close. Maybe the area was too small to have both parents hanging around. Currently Blue Diamond takes turn guarding the eggs with Blue Turquoise. They did not eat the eggs, just watching them closely.
 
The eggs look amber this time around. I don't know if that means BD has fertilized the eggs. I missed that action. I'm a little worried how the patch is near the filter, there is a big chance they will be sucked into the filter pipe. At this point, I can only let nature takes it course. I plan to leave the night light on for them tonight, in hope to help the parents guard the eggs. Let see what will become of this spawn by next morning.

Since Sunday, I have removed Pigeon Blood from the display tank, and kept it in the small QT tank as a timeout. Pigeon has twice eaten Yellow's eggs. It is an alpha male,so it dominates the display tank. I thought maybe a timeout, is what it needs.  Without Pigeon Blood, there is one less threat to the eggs being eaten. 


Blue Turquoise and Blue Diamond takes turn guarding eggs.
 


Late the same night, Yellow discus spawned on the cone, but her eggs were immediately eaten by Blue Diamond.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment