Sunday, February 22, 2015

Yellow and Blue Spawn

It was late Saturday night when I arrived home to find another exciting experience. I was away for 12  hours and the display tank's light didn't get turned on. The first thing I did when I entered the house was to give Hanna a hug. Then I immediately went to the main tank to turn on the lights to check on the fish. To  my surprise, there was a batch of eggs on a Anubis leaf! At this point, I did not know which discus has laid the eggs or who was its partner since the spawning was over. I sat on the couch and observed, hoping I could figure out the answer.
So it seemed that it was Yellow again who laid the eggs. Sometimes I see Pigeon Blood came by to eat the eggs. But Blue Diamond was always near the eggs and Yellow, even when Pigeon Blood left the area. Could it be Yellow and Blue Diamond this time? Pigeon blood is the fattest discus in the tank and so it is the alpha. It is not afraid of Blue Diamond, it roams wherever it wants, and no one dares to fight it away. Pigeon Blood is the big bully, it bullies Blue Diamond everyday. Sometimes I see Blue Diamond has pecking marks on one side caused by Pigeon Blood. There were times when Blue Diamond fought back but then lost and left.
Unfortunately, the eggs did not get fertilized and were eaten again this time, either by Pigeon Blood or Yellow herself. I think Blue Diamond is trying to protect the eggs. They must be observed a few more times to find out who could be a better male, the one that one day know how to fertilize.






No comments:

Post a Comment